Frequently Asked Questions
For more information or for any questions not listed, feel free to call Competitive Health, toll-free at (888) 995-7075.
- What is MDLIVE?
With MDLIVE, you can access a doctor from your home, office, or on the go- 24/7/365. Our Board Certified doctors can visit with you either by phone or secure video to help treat any non-emergency medical conditions. Our doctors can diagnose your symptoms, prescribe medication, and send prescriptions to your pharmacy of choice.*
- Is MDLIVE appropriate for every medical condition?
No. MDLIVE is designed to handle non-emergency medical issues. You should not use MDLIVE if you are experiencing a medical emergency. In case of a medical life threatening emergency, you should dial 911 immediately. While MDLIVE is not intended to replace your primary care doctor for common or chronic conditions, a virtual doctor’s appointment can sometimes substitute a doctor’s office, urgent care, or an emergency room visit.
- What are the most common conditions you treat?
Our doctors are trained to treat a wide range of conditions. Some of the most common are:
- Ear Problems
- Insect Bites
- Pink Eye
- Respiratory Problems
- Sore Throats
- Urinary problems/UTI
- How do I sign up for MDLIVE and activate my MDLIVE account?
You can easily sign up and activate your account by using one the following methods:
- Go online and visit: https://mdlive.com
- Call our toll free number: (888) 995-7075
- Download our Mobile App, available on the iTunes store and Google Play.
- When can I start using my MDLIVE service?
You can start using MDLIVE immediately after you sign up and activate your account. Sign up and activation are totally free. If you are required to pay, you will only be asked for your credit card information after you visit with a doctor. Once you have an MDLIVE account, you can browse doctor profiles, view available appointment times, and schedule an appointment with the doctor of your choice. Want to go one step further? Be sure to fill out your medical history profile to better prepare your MDLIVE doctor for your appointment.
- When is MDLIVE available?
MDLIVE is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and 365 days a year, even on holidays. Use MDLIVE anytime you have a non-emergency medical condition, are unable to see your primary care provider, or when you simply prefer a convenient, cost effective alternative to the emergency room, urgent care center, or clinic.
- Where is MDLIVE available?
MDLIVE is available anywhere in the United States**. Our network of Board Certified providers will be provided to you based on the state you are located. We make sure that each provider is fully licensed to practice medicine in your state.
- How much does it cost to use MDLIVE?
Getting started is totally free. If you're receiving MDLIVE as part of a group benefit, you may not be required to pay at all. If you are required to pay, you will only be charged after you choose to consult with a provider and your appointment time and payment information are confirmed. You can cancel your appointment and receive a full refund, provided that you cancel at least 24 hours before your appointment time. MDLIVE accepts most major credit and debit cards.
- Can MDLIVE be accessed on mobile devices?
Yes, MDLIVE can be accessed on most mobile devices with an Internet connection. Our MDLIVE Mobile App is available for download in the iTunes Store and the Google Play Store.
- Who are the MDLIVE providers?
All MDLIVE providers are U.S. Board Certified and able to treat a wide range of patients and conditions.
Following each consultation, our members are given a survey to evaluate their provider and appointment.
The results are analyzed and reviewed for quality assurance and used as part of our continuous improvement process. Selected provider consultations are also reviewed by our internal medical board.
- Can a provider prescribe medication as part of an MDLIVE visit?
Yes, if the MDLIVE provider believes medication is warranted, he or she can write a prescription for non-narcotic medications (i.e. no controlled substances), which can be sent directly to the pharmacy of your choice.* As soon your consultation is over, your prescription will be sent electronically to one of over 65,000 pharmacies to choose from. If for any reason your pharmacy is unable to receive e-prescriptions, a traditional prescription is generated for our providers to sign and fax. All prescriptions are fully compliant and include all required information.
- Is MDLIVE safe and private?
Yes, MDLIVE is safe and private. MDLIVE is compliant with HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) and will only share your information with your selected provider and pharmacy.
- What system requirements do I need for MDLIVE videoconferencing?
To use video conferencing you need:
- Windows®7, Vista, or XP
- A Mac running OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or superior.
- Highspeed internet connection
- A webcam with at least 1.3 megapixels
- Microphone (most webcams already have microphone built in)
After you set up an account, you will be able to use a simple online simulation to test your configuration and check if you are ready for a virtual consultation.
- I have a question that isn’t listed here. Can you help me?
Don’t see your question? Don’t worry. Just call us at (888) 995-7075. We have highly trained health service specialists standing by to take your call, 24/7/365.
MDLIVE, INC. NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER:
* Please note: Some state laws require that a doctor can only prescribe medication in certain situations and subject to certain limitations.
* MDLIVE physicians may not treat any children with urinary symptoms.
* Parents/guardian will be required to complete a different medical history disclosure form for children under the age of 36-months prior to making an appointment with an MDLIVE physician. Children under 36 months who present with fever must be referred to their pediatrician (medical home), child-friendly urgent care center or emergency department for clinical evaluation and care.
MDLIVE Prescription Policy
Doctors providing consultations for MDLIVE members offer prescriptions for a wide range of products that deliver direct medicinal value. These include, but are not limited to, drug classes such as antibiotics and antihistamines.
It is important to note that MDLIVE is not a drug fulfillment warehouse. In the event a doctor does prescribe medication, he/she will usually limit the supply to no more than thirty days. Patients with chronic illnesses should visit their primary care doctors or other specialists for extended care. MDLIVE doctors do not issue prescriptions for substances controlled by the DEA, for non-therapeutic use, and/or those which may be harmful (potential for abuse or addiction). For a current list of DEA controlled substances, visit http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/schedules/
** In Arkansas and Idaho; an initial visit must be completed via video. After an initial visit, subsequent consultations may be completed via phone.